Setting Up Microsoft Exchange 2013 with an Existing Email Address
For Microsoft Exchange 2013 Accounts
In this article, we'll show you how to set up Microsoft Exchange 2013 with an existing email address.
- You can use your Microsoft Exchange 2013 mailbox with an existing email address. However, this requires additional activation. The following step-by-step instructions will show you how to set up and activate your Microsoft Exchange 2013 account. Want to create a new email address with your Microsoft Exchange 2013 account? This is explained in the help article Setting up Microsoft Exchange 2013 with a new email address.
If you use a Microsoft Exchange 2013 account with an existing email address, you can only set up this account in Microsoft Outlook 2013. Other Microsoft Outlook versions are not supported in this case.
To set up a Microsoft Exchange 2013 account with an existing email address in Microsoft Outlook 2013, you can use the Outlook Configurator. If the automatic setup using the Outlook Configurator fails, we recommend that you set up the Microsoft Exchange 2013 account manually in Microsoft Outlook 2013.
If you ordered Office 365 from IONOS or another provider and connected it with your domain registered with IONOS, you cannot use Microsoft Exchange 2013 with that domain.
Log in to your IONOS account.
Click on the Email tile.
If necessary, select the contract that contains the Microsoft Exchange 2013 account you are setting up.
In the Portfolio section under Microsoft Exchange 2013, click on Create.
Make a note of the Exchange "e-number" for use in later steps. It will be displayed in this format: e123456789.
Select the Use an existing email address option.
Enter the desired email address in the Email Address field. This email address can be one you created with IONOS or from another provider entirely.
Fill out the First Name and Last Name fields.
Enter the password for your Microsoft Exchange 2013 mailbox.
Click Save. The activation code will now be sent to this email address. Open the corresponding email and copy the activation code. If you can't find the email, check in your SPAM folder.
Enter the activation code in the corresponding field of the IONOS page.
Confirm your entries with Activate.
As the last step, create a forwarding of emails from your old email address to the newly set up email address. If your old email address was created at IONOS, you can find step-by-step instructions here: Setting Up Forwarding for Your Email Address
All done! You can now use your Microsoft Exchange 2013 account fully with your current email address.
Creating a Forward to Your New Exchange Account
The final step is to create a forward from the original email address you connected to Exchange 2013 to the Exchange "e-number" email address you copied in Step 5.
Steps for IONOS Email Addresses:
- Click on the original Mail Basic or Mail Business email address you connected to Exchange 2013.
- Click on the Email Address row.
- Rename the email address. For example, email@example.com can become firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click Save.
- Click the left arrow next to your renamed email address at the top of the screen to return to the Email Overview.
- In the Portfolio box on the right, click Create next to Email Forward.
- In the Email field, enter the part of the original email address before the @ symbol and choose the correct domain from the Domain drop-down menu.
- In the Forward Emails field, enter the Exchange email address you copied earlier (Ex. email@example.com).
- Click Save.
Steps for External Email Addresses:
- Add a forward to your email address that forwards emails to the Exchange email address you copied earlier (Ex. firstname.lastname@example.org). Please refer to your respective email provider's instructions for doing this.
Your Microsoft Exchange 2013 account has now been successfully connected to your existing email address, and it is ready to send and receive emails immediately.
You can access your account by logging in to the Outlook Web App in your browser or adding your Exchange address to Outlook.
Downloading Microsoft Outlook
After you have set up Microsoft Exchange 2013 in your IONOS account, you can download Microsoft Outlook. You can find out how to do this in the article Downloading Microsoft Outlook for Microsoft Exchange 2013.